Steve is a senior partner in the firm. A Chambers-ranked jury trial lawyer who has tried more than eighty cases to verdict, Steve’s high-stakes trial practice runs the gamut from complex commercial litigation with nine-figure exposure to product liability lawsuits alleging catastrophic injuries to high profile intellectual property disputes. Steve also uses his experience as a former SEC Enforcement lawyer and criminal prosecutor to help individuals and companies respond to governmental investigations and lawsuits.
Steve has been widely recognized by his peers for his trial skills. His accolades include:
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Awarded 2018 ABOTA “Trial Lawyer of the Year”
- Named as one of “America’s Leading Business Lawyers”, Litigation: General Commercial, Chambers USA 2016 – 2019
- Named by Best Lawyers as the 2020 “Lawyer of the Year” in the Product Liability Litigation category
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by U.S. News and World Report and Best Lawyers for Products Litigation in Seattle in 2014
- Named “Local Litigation Star” by Benchmark Litigation, 2015 – 2019
- Selected as Top 100 Washington Super Lawyer for 2019
- Selected as Top 100 Washington Super Lawyer for 2018
- Selected as Top 100 Washington Super Lawyer for 2017
- Selected as Top 100 Washington Super Lawyer for 2016
- Selected as a Top 100 Washington Super Lawyer for 2015
- Repeatedly named Washington Super Lawyer, 2012-2019
- Repeatedly recognized as a “Best Lawyer in America” in the fields of Commercial Litigation and Personal Injury Litigation, 2012-2017
- Repeatedly named one of “Seattle’s Best Lawyers”
- Repeatedly named as one of the top litigators in the city in Seattle Metropolitan magazines “Top Lawyers” issue
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest rating an attorney can obtain
Prior to joining the firm, Steve was a homicide prosecutor in Seattle, where for several years he exclusively tried murder cases, including a number that received front-page media attention. Before moving to Seattle to become a prosecutor in 1994, Steve practiced in Washington, D.C., where he worked for a securities litigation boutique and as a staff attorney for the Securities and Exchange Commission Division of Enforcement.
Project Thunder vs. TNS – Member of trial team defending large public company in earn-out dispute stemming from defendant’s acquisition of a telecommunications software company. Case settled on favorable terms in November 2015 after two days of trial.
SEC vs. Dargey et al. – Mr. Fogg represented a large number of Chinese investors in real estate projects that are the subject of a SEC fraud case. In October 2014, Mr. Fogg won an order from federal judge releasing $5.5 million of his clients’ funds prior to the appointment of a receiver.
Kim vs. Delta Inn et al. – Mr. Fogg led a team that defended Delta Inn Incorporated in a four-week trial that took place in November and December 2012 in King County Superior Court. The plaintiff sought an eight-figure award in this lawsuit, which revolved around the disputed ownership of a hotel company. Mr. Fogg and his team obtained a defense verdict for their client.
Fluke vs. Milwaukee Tool – Mr. Fogg defended Milwaukee Tool in a lawsuit alleging trade secret misappropriation and breach of an alleged non-competition agreement. After a one-week evidentiary hearing and a successful interlocutory appeal, the entire case was dismissed on summary judgment with an award of attorney’s fees to Mr. Fogg’s client.